Appendix A: Personal Equipment List
(limited to 70 lb per team member)
Holster Belt / Suspenders / Butt Pack (WEB GEAR) or Backpack: (to be carried on person at all times)
- Canteen - 1 quart water / Canteen cover
- Canteen cup
- Leather work gloves
- Eye protection / Ear protection
- Rain gear
- Camp knife
- Matches in waterproof case
- Notepad / pencil / pen
- ID / Drivers License / Money / Credit Card
- Bandage scissors / hemostat / stethoscope
- 1 MRE
- Skin protection (sunscreen)
- Insect repellant
- Hat / Handkerchief
- chap stick / tylenol / decongestants / etc.
- Total weight of all your equipment cannot exceed 70 lbs.
- Try to keep the number of packs of your equipment to the minimum. You should be able to carry them all at once for short distances.
- Military duffel bags are ideal. Vacation type luggage is acceptable, but discouraged.
- Label ALL your equipment with your name and address !!!!!
- Absolutely NO sterno, propane or compress gas containers should be in your gear. Military (and some commercial) aircraft prohibit it (chemical heaters are acceptable).
- There may be no electricity. Electrically powered items are discouraged.
Duffel Bag or Luggage:
(Soft duffel bags are preferred over hard luggage!)
- Sleeping bag rated for expected weather
- Uniforms (2-5 changes of clothes)
- The NDMS team colors are Khaki (light brown)
- Weather dependent: Long pants, Long sleeved shirt, shorts, T-shirts, Team shirts, Jacket, hooded sweat-shirt
- Work or hiking boots that provide ankle support
- Sneakers / tennis shoes
- Trouser belt
- Long underwear (weather dependent)
- Insulated gloves (weather dependent)
- Swim wear (weather dependent)
- Mess kit / Camp cup / Eating utensils
- Spare batteries for flashlight
- Utility items: rubber bands, safety pins, needle and thread, extra buttons, duct tape, electrical tape, clothes line, etc.
- Soap, shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, hairbrush, razor, cosmetics, hand mirror, personal hygiene items, etc.
- Zip lock bags (assorted sizes)
- Garbage bags
- Dirty laundry bag
- Small roll of toilet paper
- Mosquito netting
- Water purification filter
- Radio / batteries
- Inflatable pillow
- Nylon hammock (equipment storage)
- Reading materials / entertainment
- Shower shoes
- Consider packing each of your days worth of clothes in a separate ziplock back for easy retrieval of that days items.
- Pack all equipment in your pack in separate ziplock bags in case your pack is exposed to the weather. A dry pair of clothes is very nice to slip into after standing in the rain all day!